Pages

Friday 28 March 2008

Revising Rising Fire (again) and wax modelling...

I've just finished making the goblet on the left for British Silver Week, and while I wax modelled the snakes it occurred to me that this has a lot in common with revising a novel.

You get the outline right, then change some major bits - for instance the snake necks where they meet the foot of the goblet, so as not to show the internal rod. Then there's a lot of smoothing, texturing, measuring and checking it looks good from all angles. Really very like revising Rising Fire.

I have no idea how long it will take in either case. I just go on until it’s done. Which can take ages.

There's another connexion too. I got the idea for the goblet from the design of Tor's dagger, that you can see on the book cover above.

(By the way, I do know the author does not design the book jacket - I did it for Youwriteon, where you can display a cover image).

4 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful goblet - amazing!!

    :))

    A
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really special goblet Lexi. I knew you were a silver smith but thought it was all jewellery. That's amazing. Alys collects chalices and she'd love one like that! I've just shown her the pic and she was all ecstatic.

    ReplyDelete