Pages

Friday 15 September 2017

Hunting down repeated words in the WIP


I've blogged about word echoes before. They used to be a particular problem for me, one I like to think I've now mostly got the better of. But when I've nearly finished writing a book, as well as reading it aloud, I put the text chapter by chapter through editing software to catch repeated words.

Initially I used Autocrit, then it got expensive. I switched to ProWritingAid, which was free, but you now have to pay if you want to analyse more than 500 words. I don't object to paying for a service, and it's easy to scout around and find 25% off vouchers, but ProWritingAid offers a wealth of features I wouldn't use. I don't need help with my grammar, style or readability. Their idea of a 'sticky' sentence is not mine. I just want to find repeated words...

The answer is Repetition Detector.  It's simple and does one job really well, highlighting repeated words in two categories, close and distant repetitions, and you choose the definition of close and distant. You can tell it to skip words like he, she, it etc.. It's free for 30 days, then an incredibly bargain $7.40 for life.

8 comments:

  1. That sounds like a brilliant program. It's pointless buying anything that has masses of features you don't need - and you (Lexi) really don't need help with your grammar!

    I take it this means you're close to finishing another book for us to look forward to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close to finishing the book is right, FH ... I've been close for weeks now, rethinking the ending and dithering generally. Ah, the joys of writing :o)

      Delete
  2. Hi Lexi, bit puzzled.. your blog says 7 books in 10 years but I've 9 of your books on my kindle. Have enjoyed reading all of them and look forward to the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown - so it does. I'll update it now, thank you. As you correctly say I've written eight novels and one book of short stories. I'm very flattered that you've collected all of them :o)

      Delete
  3. That's so useful to know, Lexi. Thank you. And it's also good to know you've nearly finished another book for us all to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right when I was patting myself on the back for being so smart to choose a Mac for many reasons but one of the foremost being I was able to buy and use Vellum, but now I want this a LOT, and it's only for Windows. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Console yourself that Repetition Detector isn't perfect. I've found when checking TR3 that it's not quite as good at detecting repeated words as ProWritingAid, and can sometimes miss repeats for no obvious reason. Though of course it's WAY cheaper.

      Delete